06 April 2008

Road trip thoughts

Yesterday was such a day for the Lord I just don't know where to begin. I guess I'll handle it chronologically.

It started with an early morning wake up call as I had committed to be part of the team praying for Project 180. For the last three years Grace Presbyterian Church has taken one day and over a thousand volunteers into the neighborhood to share God's love. It's a fabulous day and the best way to recharge your spirit of giving. Since I was going to be working the early shift I signed up for an even earlier prayer shift. The great thing about prayer is you can pray in bed. All I had to do was roll over, quiet the alarm and open my heart.

I got to the site and was directed to the outdoor classroom. I spent three hours moving dirt, spreading mulch, and leveling crushed granite. I was pretty filthy by the time I boarded the bus to go back to my car. Being there and working with others who love to share Christ in a real and practical way to the world around them was better than I can ever tell you. It's what I love best.

I went home to shower and think about getting in a car for a day trip to Austin to have dinner with my family. My nephew was down from Purdue to be wooed by UT (They didn't woo him well by the way). I decided to make the trip after conversing with family and a great friend. I was traveling along and enjoying the wonderful wildflowers. I needed to stop and get gas and while stopped received a call with some disturbing news. I have been planning to move at the end of May but due to surprising developments I have to move out by the end of the month.

I got back in the car and started my music up. I had put the Zune on random play of some Selah tracks. The first song to play was Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, the next songs were, It Is Well With My Soul, His Eye Is on the Sparrow, Be Still My Soul, and What a Friend We Have in Jesus. I was singing along to each and thankful that while the Zune randomly chooses the song to play, God chose each one to give my heart ease. I spied a particularly beautiful patch of wildflowers and decided it was a great place to stop and do a little picture taking and prayer walking.

After getting back in the car, I thanked God that I know deep in my heart everything that happens to me works out for His glory. I have next to no time to find a place. I need to find something cheap, and I have less time to earn extra money for the move. Sounds frightening? Yes and no, yes when I think of working this out on my own, no when I remember that God works things out for me. Things may not work in any way I might envision and God works on His own timeline. Past experience has taught me it is best to rely on Him and let Him work on me.

So, the next 24 days are a chance to pray more often, trust more fully and rejoice greatly!

Glad Jesus loves me!

-jené

No comments: