17 April 2008

No news yet

No news to report yet, although it has been great this last week to see which of my friends I can pray with. I have always wondered why so many people are quick to say "you are in my prayers" but will not actually stop to take a moment to pray with you. If I have learned nothing else these last few years it is that you should hold on tight to the folks who will pray with you. These are the people you want in your life. I am blessed to have so many friends who will pray with me and I know they are the reason I am who I am today.

I was reading a note from an anxious young lady today who wondered if her friends knew everything about her would they still be her friends. I can tell her first hand that those who love me in spite of all my faults are my very best friends. Perhaps that its why we can go to God together in prayer. I cannot hide anything from God, and you can't successfully hide anything from someone who joins you in prayer. Maybe that is why some people are reluctant to pray with others. I can see that if you are trying to hide bits of yourself it would be difficult to do so while you were praying. For that reason alone, I have never dated anyone I couldn't pray with. Frankly, I have found over the years that the people who have the biggest impact in my life are the people who pray with me. There is just something so encouraging about holding a friend's hand as you both pour your hearts out before the Lord.

I get great comfort from my time spent alone with God, Morning prayers are the reason I can get out of bed. Private time to center myself will always be a part of my day. But I have noticed this past year when it was difficult to get out as easily, how much I missed having someone to pray with. Thankfully I have two fabulous friends who either call me several times a week to pray over the phone, or drop by to see me just to share in prayer. If you don't have someone you can pray with on a regular basis, find someone. It will be the best thing you can do for yourself.

-jené

No comments: