01 June 2008

Making friends the hard way

I am taking care of an aging cat for friends this week while they are on vacation. He seemed listless when I visited earlier today so I went back to check on him tonight. I wanted him to have a good brushing and massage but I was in too much pain to manage it earlier. He was so excited to see me tonight he stayed in my lap for over an hour and purred almost the entire time.

I was heading home around 11:30 and found myself stopped at a red light in front of police car. I soon saw the officer flash her lights so I pulled over. As I was waiting for the officer to get out of the car I was pondering why I was being stopped. I couldn't recall anything I had done wrong. She started toward the car with an apology. Seems she had run my car plates and found them to be expired. When she double checked she realized she had input the plate wrong by one digit. She was so busy apologizing she was a little startled when I began laughing. She said she was surprised I wasn't going to berate her for her mistake. I told her as a profoundly dyslexic person I would be the last person to be upset about mixing up letters and numbers. I told her that Jesus was the only perfect person to walk the earth and that as she and I were equally flawed I couldn't be angry at her. We chatted for a little while and then she followed me down the street to make sure I got home safely.

I will confess it's the most unusual way I have ever made a new friend.

Chuckling still,

jené

No comments: