31 July 2008

Truth

My head and heart have been pondering truth much these last few weeks. How do you know what is truth and what is believed to be truth by our fallible perception? Currently in my family there is some disquiet over what several are believing to be the truth as they know it. I have to wonder if they too are seeking to find what is really true and what is deception?

Facts are absolute. Gravity exists. The earth revolves around the sun. The pull of the moon sets the tides. Yet at some point in time all of these facts were not known as truth and people were punished for spreading heresy. How can you be sure what you are believing is the truth?

For me the search for truth begins and ends with Jesus. He is the proof of truth that God loves His creation. So many truths were kept in Him. God's promises were made complete when He gave us His son. Jesus' Kingdom consists of those who listen for the truth. When Pilate was questioning Jesus he tried to understand what kind of king Jesus was.

Then Pilate said, "So, are you a king or not?"

Jesus answered, "You tell me. Because I am King, I was born and entered the world so that I could witness to the truth. Everyone who cares for truth, who has any feeling for the truth, recognizes my voice."

John 18:37

The Message

When my feelings are in a jumble, I rely on the comfort of conversing with God. The truth only comes to those who are listening to the voice of Jesus. One of my favorite hymns tells me the only way to find the truth is to dwell in the Lord.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

It is for me a reminder that I can find no truth if I am not at one with the Christ; The King of all truth. I am praying that each of those caught in the difficulty will remember to seek the Originator of all truth. As much as I would wish it so, I cannot force anyone to listen for the voice of Christ. God Himself waits for us to respond to His Love. I can do no less.

Listening and praying that others will listen too,

jené

No comments: