28 July 2008

100 push ups a day?

As many of you are aware, I have been working with a physical therapist this past year. I happened to mention at a session that my nephew had twittered about doing 100 push ups a day. (If you don't know, twitter is a way to stay in touch via the web or text message.) She immediately decided it would be a good idea for me to add this to the regime she has me doing at home.

So a couple of weeks ago I went to their website and did the preliminary test. Based upon how you do, they outline a six week course for you to follow. Right now I am in week two. Today I did 46 push ups, not all in a row but in sets with breaks in between the sets. As with everything she has outlined in her plan for me, I am uncertain of just how this will benefit me. I do believe that all exercise is beneficial, even if you don't see physical results.

Knowing that even with my diminished health this year I can still work on my body has been a energizer. Mostly I like how my mind wanders while I am working out. I always put some tunes on to play and find myself in the same sort of meditative state stillness brings. I can truly understand how Brother Lawrence used to find the time on his knees scrubbing floors as a good time to listen to God. Push ups work as well, toward the end you are definitely calling out to Him. Those last few really tax your system. At least they do for me.

I am excited to find another way to calm my heart and center my soul. Push ups do more than a body good.

Frequently on the floor,

jené

1 comment:

Josh said...

I got off track during week 3 and I'll be restarting there tonight. I was hoping to be done with the program by this week. Oh well.