24 July 2008

Labyrinth

I have never walked this labyrinth in Chartres Cathedral but have often walked many here in the Houston area. It can be used as a meditative tool for contemplation and prayer. The labyrinth has no mystical power. As with all things regarding prayer, the miracle happens in how prayer changes people.

I have always used walking as a tool for prayer. The nice thing about using a designed pattern is the freedom to let go of your surroundings. You don't have to watch for danger. You just set you feet on the circuitous path and let your heart soar in prayer. What I find joyful in wandering the path is how often you come close to the center only to be drawn away. Labyrinths are actually named for how many times you circuit the center before reaching the end. It for me is a metaphor for my life. I remain focused on the journey's end, but need to be aware of the twists and turns in the path.

Right now I am spending much time in prayer for someone who seems to have let go of her focus on the meaning of life's journey. I want so desperately to go and get her and make her see where she has misstepped. I know she can really only come to the knowledge of this on her own, but it doesn't lessen my desire to see her return to seeking God's plan for her life.

I am confident that God has not released her from His care and I am hopeful she will soon remember this. Until then, I will be praying and walking much.

-jené

No comments: