20 March 2004

Wrap up

Today my only goal was to sleep in and wake leisurely. That goal was not achieved thanks to a call from a friend who can't recall there is a major time difference between Rome and Houston. He was very apologetic and offered to call back later. I explained I was already awake so we might as well chat. I had a good time catching up with him in spite of the fact it was 4:30 in the morning. Would have been even better had I not gone to bed at 3:00.

Friday I was blessed to spend the morning with my favorite little girls. We played hard, created art and baked popovers. I love spending time with them. It is always an adventure.

That afternoon I met with the manager of a store in which I had interviewed last week. It was encouraging being asked back. She said she would have some word for me late next week about the job situation and the openings they will be filling now. Please pray.

Thursday I spent the day as a fill-in switchboard operator at a large church. This job vacillates from boredom to busyness. My favorite moment revolved around trying to make a woman understand the difference between a funeral and a memorial service. It went as follows:

Me: Good Morning, ------------------ Church, how may I help you?

Her: Do you know anything about the services for-------------------?

Me: Yes ma'am, the gravesite services are at 10:30 a.m. and the memorial service is at 1:00 p.m. in the chapel.

Her: So will the viewing be before or after the memorial service?

Me: (repeat last line given)

Her: But that doesn't say when the viewing is?

Me: Typically ma'am, there is no viewing at a memorial service.

Her: So when will I be able to see her?

Me: Ma'am the gravesite services will be at 10:30 in the morning, there will be no viewing at the memorial.

Her: So the viewing will be at a different time?

Me: Usually after the gravesite service the casket is buried in the ground, that means there will be no viewing service that day.( I really wanted to ask her if she would like us to dig up this poor woman so she could have a look. I didn't)

Her: Oh, can you tell me how to get to the church?

Me: Yes ma'am, where will you be coming from?

Her: My house.

Me: Alright, where is that?

Her: At my house, I won't be going anyplace else first.

Me: O.K. where is your house?

Her: I'm in Katy.

Me: Great, I can tell you how to get here from Katy.

You get the general idea of my day from this call. Still poor gals can't be choosers, we have to take all the work we can get.

No comments: