11 March 2004

Tidbits

This week has been an odd collection of happenings. Monday I was getting ready for a job interview. The leader of my small group Bible study called and asked me if I would be willing to stand in for him this week. Now, I am confident that I have much to share with all that God has done and is doing in my life. What I am not confident about is leading a class. Fortunately this situation is more about facilitating others to share than teaching. Getting folks to open up and talk is something I am good at. While I was nervous through most of the study, I believe all went well. At the very least, they are all too kindhearted to tell me if I did a bad job.

Tuesday I was going to head to Austin to be with my brother-in-love while waiting for his election returns. A last minute interview kept me in town. I attended my precinct convention instead and ended up serving as secretary. We only had nine people present. The entire election has been a less than stellar experience. I emailed, called and spoke to over 500 people trying to get out the vote. In spite of my best efforts voter turnout was abysmally pathetic. It saddens me profoundly that only a small minority of citizens care enough to exercise their responsibility as Americans. My word to all those who don't even bother to register or vote is "keep quiet". I don't want to hear one word of dissent from you. If you aren't part of the solution you are the problem.

Wednesday was filling in applications and then the aforementioned Bible Study that night.

Today has been more of the same. Still the sun is shining and there is food in the pantry to cook. So I am doing much better than many people in this world. It's good to remember that although things sometimes seem dismal, there is always some joy to be found. And yes, many of my friends call me Pollyanna.

No comments: