23 February 2005

Connections

Today the last of my sisters made the switch to high speed internet. Now we can send lots of pictures back and forth without worrying that she'd be tied up forever receiving them. More importantly I no longer have to IM the kids and ask them to get off-line so I can call their mom.

E-mail and the internet have changed how we reach out to each other. Stop and think for a minute about all the people who have become part of your life even though you have never "met" them.

I now know several people who contacted me after reading my blog. Groups, webrings and message boards brought me new friends. Even a few old friends have re-connected electronically.

Getting to know someone in this remote fashion is challenging. You can edit what you let them find out about you. If you wish you can only let the best part of yourself show. Conversely, it is easier to be totally honest about yourself when you don't have to look into someone's eyes. You get to choose your approach.

At any rate, you just got to love anything which allows you to make more friends. You can never have too many.

No comments: