03 February 2005

A bumpy start

Every morning I start the day with prayer and yoga before I get out of bed. No matter how the rest of the day goes, the beginning is always grand. Sometimes that's the only comfort for the day when you happen to live with chronic pain.

That being said, today got off with a bang. Arthritis has been a pretty overwhelming companion this winter. When I went to get out of bed he reared his ugly head and getting up became a battle of what seemed to be gigantic proportions. Too stubborn to give in I waged war against my own body. Normally this is a battle I can win, today I lost. In what can only be described as the least graceful moment of my life, I managed a few steps before my knees gave out and I fell bashing my head in to the wall.

Now you may be wondering why I shared this story with you. Well, I was feeling pretty confident as I lay in bed this morning. I was certain I could handle whatever today saw fit to throw my way. This of course is a prime example of arrogance, and I should know better. This stumble was a perfect way to disabuse myself from the idea I could manage the day on my own. Nothing like an up close and personal object lesson.

So, the day started again as I lay on the floor chuckling over the whole thing and the way my stupidity constantly amazes me.

No comments: