17 May 2004

Reading anew

Last year my parents gifted me with a Bible. I have truly enjoyed the newness familiar words have had in reading The Message. Today I was in the sixth chapter of Matthew, studying prayer and what is more commonly referred to as "The Lord's Prayer." The biggest impact from the passage were the instructions preceding the prayer.

Pray with Simplicity
5 "And when you come before God, don't turn that into a theatrical production either. All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat?
6"Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.
7 "The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. 8 Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. 9 With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply.


Matthew 6:5-9, The Message, NavPress Publishing


What really hit home was the "just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage...the focus will shift from you to God." So many times in the past I have taken prayer for granted and have settled for it to be less than what it should be. I can tell you that this past year the time off from work has forced me to give prayer the important place in my life it deserves. What I have treasured the most is learning to listen to the Spirit. After all, this is conversation with my Father. I ought not to be doing all the talking. I should be spending most of the time with my heart open to hear.

Driving home Sunday I saw something that brings this message home. The sign out in front of Saint Cyril's this week says "you have a heavenly father, so don't live like an orphan". I talk with my earthly father often. He's a wonderful dad and I am blessed to have him so available. I don't call him up to hear myself talk to him. I call to hear his voice and seek his counsel. I want to know what he thinks because I know he loves me and wants only the best for me. But even more so does my heavenly Father, and I would be doing myself a great disservice not to seek the same from Him.

No real point here just a thought from my quiet time. Thanks for the Bible Mom and Dad. It's getting a lot of use.

No comments: