19 January 2009

Inauguration prayer

Presidential Prayer Team Member Donna Pirone wrote a great prayer for tomorrow as we welcome our newest President into his office. I love all of it but this part from the center really struck home for me.

Today, he stands before you and before our nation with his hand on your Word to pledge his allegiance to you and to us. We need his help, he needs our help, and together we all need your help, for without you we can do nothing.


I think it is important to realize that while it is easy to recognize we need his help, it is less obvious how much he needs our help. Our country is in a real mess right now. You would think that no sane person would want to lead a country facing all the problems we are. No one would unless they had a desire to do something outweighed the fear of the task.

So tomorrow my new President will lay his hand on the Lincoln Bible and say these words:

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."

And when he does I vow to do all I can to help and support him.

Praying for my President

-jené

No comments: