01 November 2008

Comfort Zones

We finally got the weather of Fall this week. I love how invigorating and crisp it feels when you head out to start a new day. Unfortunately, as much as my heart is happy to feel the chill, I can't say the same for my joints. I don't move very easily when the cold weather hits. The timing of my slowing down was actually beneficial. One day this week was particularly difficult. I have long worked to find something to be grateful for when days like that come my way. One thing I have learned is that nothing comes between me spending time with God unless I choose it to. Days of limits have no limits on prayer, and I really needed the extra time to pray this week.

I am working on an assignment I took on at church. Last Sunday I volunteered to take $100 to use wisely for the Lord's Kingdom. I have ninety days to complete the project. The guidelines are simple. The money is God's. He has entrusted it to me to grow it and use it for His glory. From the moment I stood up to leave the pew to volunteer I began praying. I knew this would take me well outside my comfort zone. I had in fact struggled for quite a bit trying to reason with God why I should just stay seated where I was and let someone else go forward. I do poor well. You would be amazed with what I can do with seven dollars for a week's groceries. I don't grow money well. I have an allotment from my paycheck taken each payday for my retirement. It means less money to live on now, but more money to live on later. Obviously, if I could make money well, my financial life would have a little breathing room. So why in the world would I volunteer for something I am so woefully unskilled for?

Simple, God is going with me on this adventure. If I have learned nothing else in the last few years I have learned that wherever I journey, God goes with me. So my first step in this assignment was to spend some time with my best friend and a few prayer partners on Sunday. They agreed to pray for me for the next 90 days and to give freely of their own time and talents to secure ways to help.

When we first met to pray, I was asked if I felt any leading as to where I was going to invest the final sum I had. I have to confess there were several ideas running through my head then. I spend time with the Salvation Army, Star of Hope, and the BEAResource room. After a week spent in prayer, I have felt led to choose Star of Hope for this adventure.

Now the objective is in sight, I need a plan to get there. As I am always quoting Antoine de Saint-Exupery to my favorite little girls each time we set goals for our time together. "A goal without a plan is just a wish"

Please pray I will remember that God is my comfort zone and He goes with me,

jené

P.S. Any and all ideas are most welcome. Feel totally free to email me your suggestions.


No comments: