24 October 2008

Good citizenship, reluctantly

After I failed to make it to the polls on Wednesday, I decided to make sure I made it today. I was still uncertain just whom I was going to vote for in several key elections. I woke up fairly early and decided to use a gift certificate I got last year to go see the " The Secret Life of Bees." I had thoroughly enjoyed the book and was looking forward to the movie. Unfortunately my gift card was a dud. I got one from work last year and one from a sweet friend. I hope it was the one from work, while I hate for anyone to suffer a loss, my friend can't afford to waste money. At least one had been alright and I used it earlier this year to see Prince Caspian.

I got ready to leave to vote and doubled back to grab my Zune as I was certain I would be in a line waiting for at least a little bit of time. I almost picked it up when I heard the Spirit whisper "leave it behind." I hesitated a moment and then left it where it was. I got in the car and took a moment to pray for God to use my time waiting for His glory. I started the car and headed off to the polls no surer about my vote than I had been when I woke up.

When I entered the building the line was doubled back on itself and almost back to the front door. I walked up and stood behind a man busy on his cell phone. For a long time I was at the end of the line by myself with phone man. About 10 minutes later a couple walked in. Seeing I had a cane, they told me if I wanted to sit down they would save me a place in line while I sat. I thanked them for the offer but assured both that I was used to standing for long periods of time as my job has me on my feet all day long. Seeing the man in front of me was still on the phone the lady behind said me now would be a good time for her husband to catch up on his messages. While he was doing so she and I chatted about everything from getting her sons absentee ballots while they are at Clemson to places we have lived.

Halfway through the line a sweet older lady stepped into the waiting area to remind everyone they are forbidden to use their cell phones this close to a polling place and asked everyone to put them away. We continued to talk and she joked she should have brought a book she has been wanting to read but just hasn't started. I replied I had almost brought my Zune to keep me company but at the last minute felt God ask me to leave it behind because He had someone for me to talk to while I waited. She asked me if I had found anyone yet and I told her I was unaware if I had. I explained that for me it was more important to be obedient to where I felt the Lord was leading, than to see a visible result. I told her I had more than once been reminded God calls me to obedience and I should trust the results to Him. I told her this election was a good example. I shared with her that even though I was in line to vote, I was still uncertain as to whom I would be voting for in many of elections. At that time we had to part ways as it was our turn to vote.

I cast my ballot and headed back to my car. I still do not know if this woman was the one who needed a word from the Lord, but trust she at least knows there are people to whom their faith is a guiding force in their life.

Glad I live in a nation with peaceful elections,
overjoyed to serve a Sovereign God,

-jené

No comments: