20 November 2008

my life is one of those "You had to be there" jokes.

When I saw this facebook flair I knew it was for me. Anyone who has read this blog over the years should be able to recall many moments which fit this piece. The attack of the glycerin soap, getting stuck in my own car, numerous road altercations, being pulled over by the cops after inputting my plates wrong and the latest occurrence from this afternoon.

When I came home the other night there was only one very tight spot open to park. Unfortunately it had speed bump right in the middle. Evidently when I was maneuvering in position, the speed bump knocked loose one of the coverings under the car. I noticed it yesterday when I went out for my walk. I talked to my favorite car care center and they told me it would be alright for me to just remove the piece. I decided to wait until today to try it as I wasn't moving all that well yesterday.

Toolbox at the ready I made my way out to fix the problem this afternoon. If anyone had been around with a video camera you would know just how funny this was. Imagine a short lady with short arms, a cane and a toolbox laying in the street half under a car. After many convolutions and several different approaches, I realized this was not going as I hoped. I was unable to get the last remaining bolt loose. I took a break and came back into the apartment for some water and a call to my dad. After consulting with him I decided to leave the hardware in place and just cut through the liner. I headed back out again this time armed with utility scissors. I got under the car and began cutting when I heard a little girl yell for her mom. Soon they both came running to look under the car and see what was up. The little girl had told her it looked like someone had a car parked on them. When her mom looked over and could only see my legs and my cane off to the side she came running. I thanked the little one for caring enough about a stranger to get help and told her mother she was doing a good job raising her. They stayed with me while I finished cutting the liner loose and helped me get back out from underneath the car. By this time we were all laughing and joking around. As I walked back across the street I knew I had once again made a new friend in totally bizarre situation. That's when I thought this flair should title this post.

Glad to be a punchline,

jené

No comments: