19 January 2007

Lectio Divina

With the inclement weather we had this week I headed off to Bible study not really certain we were even going to meet. I called Sharon as I was driving to church and had her check the website to see if she could find anything out. As she couldn't find any news, I continued to make my way to the church.

The class was considerably smaller than the week before. I hope it was due to the bad weather and not because some who came to the first session were so baffled by what they found that they couldn't return.

One of the things we are putting into practice in this class is an abbreviated form of Lectio Divina. I think for some in the class it is a new concept. I can recall how baffling it was for me when I first gave it a go. I was young and still open to new ideas so I didn't let the strangeness of it dissuade me. Still, I remember when I first started praying the scriptures. Many things would try to interrupt my time and I used to struggle with finding the silence to listen for God's word. A dear friend pointed out to me that I shouldn't let this worry me and just offer up each stray thought to the Lord for Him to deal with. Once I did that it was so much easier to find the quiet I needed.

It consists of four phases. Reading or listening for the Word God gives you for the day, meditating on the Word, prayer which begins a loving dialogue with God, and then contemplation.

Contemplation

FINALLY, WE simply rest in the presence of the One who has used the Scripture word as a means of inviting us to accept a transforming embrace. No one who has ever been in love needs to be reminded that there are moments in loving relationships when words are unnecessary. It is the same in our relationship with God. Wordless, quiet rest in the presence of the One who loves us has a name in the Christian tradition - contemplation. Once again we practice silence, letting go of our own words; this time simply enjoying the experience of being in the presence of God
The Sisters of St. Clare

I can't tell you how much joy and peace I have found in resting in the quiet listening to One who loves me as no other can. It is the only thing that has kept me from running screaming into the night these last few years. There is no way I would have been able to cope with the turmoil without His loving voice. I love my family and friends dearly and they have been a tremendous help during this same time. As great as they are they were not enough. I had not faltered in my daily Bible study but I had forgotten to listen. I believe God has used these experiences to teach me just how much I needed to hear His voice. He has brought me back to the place where I long to hear Him speak. For that, I would do it all again.

Listening,

jene'

No comments: