04 January 2007

Rejoicing in the moment

Today was full of moments where the choice to rejoice was not easy.

When I woke up this morning the pain that had visited me in the night was still here. I spent some time in a prayer walk remembering there are many reasons to rejoice.

I headed to the bank and for the first time ever, encountered a long line. I then made my way over to the ancillary courthouse to renew the registration on my car. The line wasn't out of the building but it did weave all over the room and entailed a 45 minute wait. Actually this gave me more time to pray and rejoice. Rejoice that I had a bank account and rejoice I can drive around town. Believe me, for anyone who has spent eight months using public transportation this is a phenomenal reason to rejoice.

Next I made my way through heavy traffic to medical center. I was headed down for some blood tests. A dear friend is a great doctor who wants to keep me as healthy as possible. Toward that end he wanted to see if there is anything else he can help me with. I always find a nice parking place in the street when I visit him. I put my money in the meter and headed in. There was a little bit of a back-up in the lab and I was five minutes late getting back to my car. You guessed it, I got my very first parking ticket.

I use meters all the time, at least two or three times a month. This is the first time I have ever missed a deadline. I usually leave a meter with time on it for the next guy to use. It is the cheapest way to park in a city of parking garages.

I called the help line number listed on the citation and chatted with a clerk downtown. I explained what had happened. I couldn't help but laugh as I told her I thought it was a bit rude to get a ticket when I had always been on time before. She started laughing and then apologized. I told her there was no need for her apology. I explained I had spent some time this morning praying for moments to rejoice today. I then told her all the things that had happened. At this point she could hardly catch her breath between the laughs. She said I certainly had a good attitude. I told her I didn't do it on my own. I told her what made the difference today was the time I spent this morning with The Attitude Adjuster. She thanked me and said I had given her much to think about.

Of course to round out the day I spent a good deal of time on I 10 going nowhere. As I was stuck in what had become a large parking lot I pondered the day. I got what I asked for this morning, though not necessarily the way I would have wanted. It really was a day full of moments to rejoice.

Thankful for answered prayer,

jene'

No comments: