24 February 2009

Lent

My pastor has asked the question " What are you giving up for Lent?" For me, the whole emphasis of Lent was more upon what I was going to take on than what I was going to give up. Friends are giving up soda, chocolate, a popular item I have heard this year is giving up facebook or twitter. I think for many the whole meaning of Lent has been twisted into some sort of self improvement movement.

Lent was originally observed as a way to draw closer to God in preparation for the celebration of Easter. The practice of fasting was more than not eating, it meant taking the time you would have spent eating and spending that time in prayer and Bible study instead. Each year I spend time in prayer about where to engage my time during Lent. In this past year I have been so blessed with many opportunities to serve my fellow man. As I was thinking and praying about this the other night I found myself being drawn to spend this season in service to others. Easter is all about the sacrifice Christ made for me. As a disciple of His, can I do less?

So this year for Lent I am sacrificing time and will spend it helping others. Since making the decision just three days ago I have already been presented with several chances in the next forty days to do just that. Proves the fact that at the moment of commitment God moves the entire universe to conspire to assist me!

Looking forward to what the season will bring,

jené

No comments: