04 December 2008

A Candle in the Window

I still haven't worked out the logistics but I have been trying to get lights strung over the door and around a front window. There are all sorts of legends about lights and celebrating Christmas. The lights represent the Star of Bethlehem guiding the wise men to Jesus. Lights in the window welcome the Holy Family who found no welcome that night. The light reminds us that Christmas is all about the Light of God coming to us in His Son. My favorite story of lights in the window comes from Ireland.

During the Penal Times you were harshly treated if you did not belong to the Church of Ireland which was part of the Anglican Community. Those who were Roman Catholic or one of the Protestant dissenters like the Presbyterians suffered greatly. They could not inherit land, take custody of an orphan, hold public office or firearms, or intermarry. Marriages for Presbyterians were not even acknowledge by the government.

Everyday life for a Roman Catholic meant he could not celebrate mass or practice his faith in the open. It is told that in order for a priest to find a home where he would be welcome, there would be a candle placed in the window. This meant he could seek shelter and the family there would want to celebrate mass with him.

I was thinking of this last night when I found myself awake for a good deal of the time. Do I live my life in such a way that people see a light of welcome in me? I talked it over with the Lord and asked Him to keep me ever mindful of being a reflection of His light.

This morning several friends asked me to pray for and with them. Here it was less than 12 hours since I asked the question that the answer was given. That's not usually the way it works. I chuckled after the last phone call and assured God I got the message. I am a candle in the window for Him.

Glad to spread the Light,

jené

No comments: