22 October 2008

today

Today started off rather early. I had taken some vicodin to help ease the pain of yesterday. I keep it for extreme times and only use it once or twice a month. I have a long life left ahead of me and do not want to become to dependent on chemical solutions for pain. At any rate, after taking the medicine I headed to bed to pray and meditate before I drifted off to sleep. Sleep was slow to happen and I found myself still awake close to midnight. Imagine my surprise when after finally falling asleep I was awake at 5:00 am. I lay there for a bit working up the energy to get up and get started on the day.

After taking care of necessary morning tasks I settled back in bed for my time with the Lord. I was asking Him what He would have me do today and I just had to confess I didn't feel up to doing anything at all. My appointment for the morning had been cancelled and I had nowhere to be. I decided to catch a little more sleep before facing the day properly. I remember joking with Jesus if He wanted me to love someone for Him today, He should just send them to me as I wasn't sure I would make it out of the apartment. And so He did!

Jesus' answer came in the late morning. There is a sweet older man who lives at the other end of my apartment building. I had taken him some brownies last week and he wanted to return my container and had brought me muffins. Right after I moved in we became acquainted. He asked me once why I always headed out on Sundays since he noticed I don't work on that day. I told him I made it to church if it was at all possible for me to do so. He stated he had not had many favorable experiences with Christians since he had come out years ago. I asked him to give me a chance to see if it was possible for someone who loved God to love him as well. Since that time we have become great friends. I stopped in to see him before Ike to make sure he had everything he needed. After the storm he came to see me to make sure I was o.k. He knew I had given most of my pantry to a neighbor with no food so he brought me food from his. The last two weeks he has waited for me to come home from church and asks me about the service. I thank God daily that he has allowed me to share His love with Paul. It is a great blessing.

So it worked out that even though I never got out of my jammies today, I was able to share Christ's love with a neighbor. There is a wonderful freedom that comes from placing control of your life into the hands of a loving God. I can do what He asks because He gifts me with the means to do it.

Thankful I could serve from home today!

-jené

No comments: