17 October 2008

Not optional, imperative

I am currently re-reading one of my favorite books by Jan Johnson, When The Soul Listens. I chose it to help fill my open Saturday earlier this month. It's been a great refresher and very helpful as someone I know has asked for my help in opening her prayer life up to real conversation instead of a checklist for God. She wanted to know why so few Christians seek contemplation. Borrowing liberally from Oswald Chambers I told her I thought it was because they were unwilling to hear God speak to them personally.

"We show how little we love we have for God by preferring to listen to His servants rather than to Him. We like to listen to personal testimonies, but we don't want God Himself to speak to us. Why are we so terrified for God to speak to us? Perhaps it's because we know that when God speaks we know we only have two choices: Either we will do what He asks, or tell Him we will not obey. But if it is simply one of God's servants speaking to us, we feel obedience is optional, not imperative."

Oswald Chambers.
My Utmost For His Highest

You see when you learn to listen to God in the stillness of prayer you will find yourself hearing Him all day long. It is one thing to hear God whisper "Love your neighbor" when you are comfortable at home. It is quite another to be worn out at work and see a colleague needing help and hear Him repeat "Love your neighbor." At that point you have only the two options Chambers listed. Many find it easier to pretend they cannot hear God to avoid the obedience it requires.

So the question I asked my friend is: Are you ready for the life change that comes from listening to God call your name? To make sure she knew the full impact I also shared with her the joy that conversation with God brings.

There is no way to accurately share with you the exultation and comfort in hearing God speak to you alone. Imagine you find yourself sitting face to face with the love of your life. Would you do all the talking or would you want to hear Him say how much He loves you and needs your help in accomplishing His goals? You see listening to God isn't only getting guidance, it's about affirmation and adoration, one for the other. It's someone who loves you enough to say "I hear
you telling me how you feel, I love you and want to share this time with you." Obedience becomes less of a chore and more of an outpouring of thanksgiving for God's grace.

I think everyone who lives this way is as inadequate as I am in explaining just how jubilant and blissful life can be staying always in God's shadow. Life does not become one long musical filled with praise songs, it does becomes something you know you will find your way through with your best friend as your constant companion. I am trusting God to help me as I help my friend find this delight for herself.

Praying you too delight yourself in the Lord,

jené

No comments: