21 September 2004

But...I'm a Christian!

Today has been a very unusual day. Things were good but goofy at work. Lot's of odd requests and thinking so far outside of the box it could not be found.

My roommate had someone contact her who needed some computer work done. Knowing how close to destitution I hover, she referred them to me. While she was still talking to the woman the bomb was dropped. She assumed that I would be willing to work for nothing, since I would be helping another christian (yes I used a lower case, and not to slight Christ, but those who use their connection to Him for their own advantage). After this woman agreed not to call me at work, but to wait to contact me this evening the call came to a close.

At about 5:45 this evening, I got a call at work from this woman. She asked if I would be willing to help her and could I please do it inexpensively as she was another christian woman seeking help from a fellow believer. Not knowing she had already spoken to Sharon, I was intent on just getting her off the phone as I was still on the clock. She threw a Praise God into every other sentence and really played the poor old woman card. I know where she lives, she can't be poor and live there. I told her I would be calling her later this week to see about setting up a time to get together.

I came home and got the full report on her from Sharon. I will be calling this potential client tomorrow to decline the opportunity of working for her. To those who find this odd, let me address why and how I made this decision.

I give of my time to several good causes of my choosing. I do not want someone who tries to bully me into helping them out by spouting Christian catch phrases.

I have to support myself and see no shame in it. I am a laborer who is worthy of her hire. Asking for and receiving payment for services rendered does not in any way lessen my commitment to my Lord.

Anyone who cannot even keep her word for an afternoon, is not someone I want to work for. (remember she promised not to call me at work)

Lastly, I trust my instincts. I felt unease the entire time I spoke with her. I believe the Holy Spirit gives us guidance all day long. We just need to recognize it for what it is instead of trying to rationalize or ignore it.

So for these reasons, this poor girl is turning down work.

No comments: