09 November 2014

Hymns and their power!

It seems everywhere I looked today I found myself amongst those in difficult times. As is often the case, the best I could offer in way of support is a big hug! Hugs show love, support, and empathy in a way words struggle to convey.

Yet more than once this day words were sung which brought peace to suffering. Just a few singing together in a hospital room can bring such a blessing to all. Consolation came today from a hymn written during the Civil War.

He leadeth me, O blessèd thought!
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught!
Whate’er I do, where’er I be
Still ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me.

Refrain

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, over troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.

Refrain

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

Refrain

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.

I can't really say it's my favorite hymn because asking which is my favorite is akin to asking a parent which is their favorite child! Even hymns which I may not know by heart always bring some sort of joy or solace.

So grateful for the blessings music brings to my life,

Jené

No comments: