18 July 2010

Camp time tales

My three favorite little girls have been at camp this past week.  The reviews I have gotten so far are mixed.  

For the oldest, this is her third year to go.  She gets herself well packed and is excited in the days leading up to her departure.  Her camp maintains a website so you can see pictures of the kids each day.  She sent me a letter the other day full of news about how much fun she was having. 

For the twins, this is their first year to go, and their reactions are as different as night and day.  I spoke with them yesterday after they returned.  Meredith almost couldn't contain her excitement. She listed all the things she did and offered details without any prompting. Getting any feedback from Julia was arduous.  It is obvious she did not enjoy camp as much as her sister.

Both of the little girls will be coming to spend the night this week.  The first year their older sister was gone to camp, they spent the night with me and we laughingly called it Camp Nené. This year's version will have to work hard to match the original.   The first time Camp Nené was in session my niece Christina was here.  The little girls loved having a teenager to play with.

When I told Julia we would be having camp at my house again she got excited.  The thing that touched my heart was when she said "Just being with you will be fun!" As someone who has always longed to have children, those words just made my day! I am so blessed to have friends nearby who share their children with me and consider me part of their family.  I have wonderful nieces and nephews, but none of them are here.  

Looking forward to Tuesday night when Camp Nené will be in session!

~ jené

No comments: