13 September 2009

Recurring thoughts

A couple of weeks ago we sang one of my favorite hymns during the service, "Lead On, O King Eternal." Now even weeks later the lyrics are still running through my mind.

For not with swords’ loud clashing,
Nor roll of stirring drums;

With deeds of love and mercy

The heavenly kingdom comes
.

This line from the second verse keeps finding it's way into my daily life. God continues to place in my path many opportunities to put it into practice. From helping a new mom find her feet, to guiding a friend with downsizing and offering assistance in a new business venture. I can feel I am doing my part in furthering my Lord's work for I believe every deed of love and mercy does so.

In totally different circumstances I may have found another use for these encouraging words. A brief foray into the political realm last week gives me cause to think the phrase might be useful as a mantra for the coming election season. Gubernatorial races are fierce in Texas. Frankly it has been so many years since my choice has been elected that I cannot find myself too worked up. When the talk turns mean spirited around me I think I will take a moment to remember the words Ernest W. Shurtleff wrote so many years ago. I will ignore the the loud clashing and focus on love and mercy.

Finding a home in love and mercy,

jené

P.S. In talking about this hymn with a friend, I learned that until he could read he sang this song as "Lead On O Kinky Turtle." I will be hard pressed not to laugh the next time it pops up in a service!

No comments: