31 May 2007

Help at hand

I talked with a friend today who is going through a rough time. The hard part is it seems like that is always the case for her. I've listened for years and at times feel like I am of no help to her. The only thing that encourages me is remembering her in my prayers each morning. As I spend time with the Spirit He hears my need to help her and He can do what I cannot.

Being a Christian does not get one a "get out of trouble free card". Being a Christian does give you all you will need to survive the trouble. This I have personal experience with. I am certain I would have been unable to make it to this point in my life without knowing God loves me. I know this because He sent Jesus to save me and the Holy Spirit to comfort and encourage me.

I have been trading emails the last month with a young man in Alaska. He has been asking me some tough questions. It all started with; "If the Holy Spirit is really part of God, what does He do?" With that query we began a bumpy journey through pneumatology. (Yes I had to look it up a few years ago) He is now delving into something many Christians never give a second thought. They accept the concept of a triune God but don't want to deal with what that means. Why is it so hard for someone who already claims to believe in God to believe in a fully functioning Trinity?

As odd as it may seem the the world is often doing more to search for wholeness in their spirituality than those of faith. I need more fingers than I have to count how many times I received a confused look when I asked a fellow believer how the Holy Spirit is working in their lives. Many concentrate on the gifts of the Spirit and never give the Giver another thought.

"If anyone loves me, he will carefully keep my word and my Father will love him—we'll move right into the neighborhood! Not loving me means not keeping my words. The message you are hearing isn't mine. It's the message of the Father who sent me. I'm telling you these things while I'm still living with you. The Friend, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send at my request, will make everything plain to you. He will remind you of all the things I have told you. I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you. Peace. I don't leave you the way you're used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught. "

John 14 :24-27 The Message

I count on the peace, I listen for the voice to remind me of Christ's words and God's love. It's how I start my day. I know that whatever may happen after I leave my house, I grounded my day in what is True. This has eased my journey through life. If you are finding yourself with a need unmet ask for help from the Helper. I know He'll not fail.

Happy for the help,

-jene'

No comments: