03 September 2008

Dr. Suess life lessons

I have a favorite quote on my flair board and it is attributed to Dr. Suess. I have found however there is some debate as to it's authorship. It is still a good life lesson so I have included it in my favorite Suessicals

  • Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
It is sometimes a hard to be totally honest with how you feel. There will always be others who think what you feel is wrong. I know personally how hard it can be to open yourself up especially with those closest to you. Just this week I was chatting with one of my sisters about a candidate. She was sharing with me how proud she was to see a pro-life women running for office. I thought for a moment just to let the comment pass without note but I would not be true to my ideals if I did not mention that I had yet to ascertain the candidate's views on the death penalty. As a consistent life pro-lifer, this is important to me. I did not press the issue but could not in good conscience let it go unsaid. My sisters and I often disagree about many things. That aside, I know their love for me can withstand them occasionally doubting my sanity.

  • Sometimes the questions are complicated but the answers are simple.

I have also learned that many of the problems that have found me in my life can be answered by simply trusting God has a plan for me.

  • The more that you read, the more things you know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
We have a saying at work that intuition does not come to an unprepared mind. Over the years I have spent much time reading many things. I am as eclectic in my reading as I am in my music. I can honestly tell you I would be hard pressed to pick just one book which has most affected my life. This of course excludes the Bible. No matter how many times I have read a particular passage I seem to find something new in each reading.

  • Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It is not.

Simply knowing that the world has many problems and talking about them is not enough. To care connotes taking action. Another flair I have states "One person can only do so much." Never let the fact that you can't do everything stop you from doing anything. One action can beget another action and so on and so on. Make that first action happen.

Having learned many things from Dr Suess I leave you with this thought.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself, any direction you choose.

Taking my shoes in many directions,

jené

No comments: