19 October 2005

Proposition 2

I have received several e-mails in this past week concerning this item which will be on the ballot. In several of them there is wording which makes me very uncomfortable. In speaking of the side which opposes this amendment they indicate the opposition will be illegally influencing the election.

" In one of their organizational meetings in San Antonio, the plan was disclosed to have people from other states come to Texas to register to vote 30 days before the election to defraud this election. There is no residency requirement to register to vote in Texas -- you can register the day you move here" -excerpted from the e-mail sent to me.

If they want to bus people in to vote 30 days before the election it may be distasteful but I don't see any fraud. It's not fraud when you take advantage of a hopelessly flawed system. It's just sneaky.

My objection to the e-mail was the source. Each time I received it from someone calling themselves Christian. I believe it is uncharitable to accuse someone of wrong doing just because you don't agree with their views. If this tactic could put forth your political agenda would you abandon it? Can't blame them for getting the system to work for them just because we don't like the outcome.

If you live here, make the effort to get to the polls and let your voice be heard.

No comments: