05 July 2009

Never a Student Again

Don't let the title throw you. I hope to always be learning new things and look forward to all there is for me to learn in what I hope will be a very long life.

I never want to be a student again as a follower of Christ. Give me a moment to explain. Let's start with a couple of definitions.

Student: 1. A person who studies a particular academic subject 2. A person seriously devoted to some subject, whether academic or not.

Disciple: 1. One who embraces and assists in spreading the teachings of another. 2. An active adherent, as of a movement or philosophy.

I am ashamed to admit for much of my life I was more of a student of Christ than a disciple. I immersed myself in study in the mistaken belief that it was the path to the holiness I sought. I was wrong.

It is in the sharing of my faith I find holiness. I have found the me I want to be in service to others, in sharing my struggles with fellow disciples, in working to end hunger, in fashioning peace, and eradicating slavery. This is what I was after, and this is how I want to spend the rest of my life.

Embracing and spreading,

jené

No comments: