02 March 2005

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Theodor Suess Geisel, more commonly known as Dr. Suess was born today.

Anyone my age or younger can recite at least two or three lines from one of his books.

Green eggs and ham were offered in a box, with a fox, in a house, with a mouse, in the rain, on the train, with a goat , and on a boat.

Dr. Suess caused us to look at language in new ways as he invented words and manipulated rhythms. Buried within the lyrics he wrote were simple life lessons.

How do we know we don't like green eggs and ham unless we try them? What can we think if we really try? Is it alright to dislike someone just because they have a star on their belly? Can you celebrate Christmas without all the gifts?

What's your favorite Suess book? I'm torn between several. Don't know if I could pick just one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! The Places You'll Go!is one of my favorites. I just feel so charged after reading it.

Sharon